So many food and dietary supplements have been having their spaces on markets and drugstores today. But one that is gaining huge attention nowadays is this dietary supplement called Spirulina.
Spirulina is a cyanobacterium or an algae powder that is high in nutrients and protein. When harvested in a non-toxic pond, and processed properly, this algae can be a very good source of protein, vitamins, and nutrients. It is largely made up of essential amino acids and proteins. Most doctors and health nutritionist recommend this to vegetarians and those having their health diets as it contain high natural iron.
The common food containing protein that you probably encounter every day are meat, poultry, beans, peas and others. If you are on a diet and is off meat, spirulina can alternatively give you the protein that this meat and other foods have.
If you buy spirulina, know that you are buying the world’s first superfood. It is one of the most vitamin-rich and nutrient-rich food on Earth. It contains between 55 to 70 percent of protein that is higher than that in chicken, beef, and soybeans. It contains 10 non-essential and 8 essential amino acids, linoleic acid, beta-carotene, Vitamin B12, arachidonic acid, calcium, nucleic acids, phosphorus, phycocyanin, RNA & DNA, chlorophyll, and a pigment-protein complex that can only be found in blue-green algae. It might sound too good to be true, but all these are what lifts spirulina as a famous superfood.
If you ask if spirulina is good for you, these will tell you the answer. Spirulina is known for being effective in treating and preventing a number of common health conditions.
- Spirulina modulates the immune response. It actively promotes cell regeneration, so wounds heal quicker, and recovery from sickness is faster. It fortifies the immune system, and it leaves you less likely to experience flu, colds, and contractible illnesses.
- It reduces inflammation, and it eases PMS symptoms. That is because of the GLA or Gamma linolenic acid contents of it. And the calcium content is good for pregnant women, as well.
- It initiates natural body detox. It is high in chlorophyll that is a strong detoxifying agent. It is proven to be effective in removing toxins from your blood.
- Spirulina can be an allergy treatment. It stops the release of histamines that triggers common allergy symptoms like runny nose, hives, watery eyes, and swelling.
- It keeps eyes healthy. Spirulina has blue-green algae that are rich in vitamin A which is for the eyes. If carrots are for healthy eyes, spirulina has ten times the vitamin content per concentration gram of a carrot.
- Spirulina improves the digestive system. It eases the waste passage which reduces stress in the system. It promotes the healthy bacteria and helps in better absorption of nutrients.
- Spirulina improves your brain function. In a study by Journal of Experimental Neurology, spirulina reduces brain damage and aids recovery of neurons after a brain surgery. It is a confirmed benefit of this amazing superfood.
- Lastly, Spirulina is shown to protect your liver against damage especially with those who have chronic hepatitis.
If you are thinking to buy spirulina or not, you can look for spirulina reviews and the articles will tell you how it may help you and your body. Moreover, you can now have an everyday easy dose of this amazing body agent through various health companies which offer this nutritional product. An example of such company is BRI Nutrition which offers FDA-approved products. Before deciding to take such nutritional supplement, however, make sure to consult with your healthcare professional first.